If you are a young person being seen by a spinal cord injury (SCI) team at a children’s (paediatric) hospital or community healthcare service, you will eventually need to be transferred to a SCI team at an adult hospital and be linked into adult SCI community healthcare services. The process of getting ready for and moving from the paediatric to adult healthcare services is called a healthcare transition or HCT.

This transition should be a gradual and individualised process, planned with you, your parents or carers, and your healthcare team. Within this website there is information about the transition and transfer process as well as tools, resources and links that will help to guide you in your transition to adult healthcare services.