General Practitioner Spinal or Other Specialist Clinical Nurse Consultant (CNC) Occupational Therapist Physiotherapist Social Worker Psychologist Dietician Family Peer Support/Mentoring

General Practitioner

A General Practitioner (GP) is a doctor who is trained to help you with any physical or mental health issue. For issues such as vaccinations, flu like symptoms, ongoing prescriptions it is best to see your GP and not your specialist. For more information on how to find a GP, how much it may cost and what to expect when you see a GP click here: or

Spinal or Other Specialist

Depending on your injury, you may be linked into one or many specialists for example a spinal specialist, neurologist, orthopaedic specialist or urologist. A specialist is just a doctor who has completed extra training in a specific area. Talk to your doctor about what area of the body they treat and how they can help you.

Clinical Nurse Consultant (CNC)

A Clinical Nurse Consultant (CNC) is a nurse that has specialised in a specific area like spinal cord injury.

Occupational Therapist

Occupational therapists focus on helping you complete activities of daily life such as self-care activities (showering, dressing, preparing food), and take part in education, work, volunteering, and leisure/social activities. They may provide assistance with hand therapy, housing adaptions, equipment, driving support, and vocational (work) support. Find out more in this fact sheet by the American Occupational Therapy Association:


A physiotherapist role with people with SCI is varied but primarily aims to support you achieve optimal mobility. A physiotherapist may assist you with wheelchair training, seated mobility training, strength training or fitness training. Read more here:

Social Worker

Social workers help individuals deal with challenges in their social, physical, and mental wellbeing. They are different from a psychologist as they are more likely to work with you in a holistic way to help change your environment or personal circumstances. You can read about how they can help here:


A psychologist is a mental health professional that can see you for a range of issues including anxiety, depression, stressful life events or other mental health issues. You do not have to talk to your psychologist just about issues related to your spinal cord injury. You may also be having a challenging time at school or at home. Your psychologist can help you with any mental health concerns you have in all areas of your life. Read more about what psychologists do here:


A SCI may reduce your level of activity and metabolism meaning that it is easier to gain weight. Staying healthy and active will prevent excessive weight gain and help maintain your skin, bones and muscles. Dietitians provide guidance about how to appropriately manage your diet and nutrition to help you stay healthy and active. Read more here:


Your parents and caregivers play an important role in looking after you and supporting you with all your healthcare needs. They may help you understand the information being given to you and may make decisions for you or support you to make decisions yourself. As you get older, gain more confidence and make more of your own decisions the role your parents or caregivers have may change.

Peer Support/Mentoring

Peer supporters or mentors are individuals with a lived experience of SCI. They can provide non-clinical and practical advice to help you and your family navigate your SCI and healthcare services. Visit our peer support page to find out more information.